Monday, December 17, 2012

Back again

Back again...

I think I'll just stick with that theme since it seems that I'm going to be out more than I'm in for a few more weeks.  I usually only have this much out-of-office time in June when I'm attending CARLI spring forums and trying to use up vacation time to avoid losing it.

Fortunately, I was able to catch up with most of my e-mail and NMRT business on Thursday, so I've gotten some actual work done today.

I solved an SFX/Serials Solutions mis-match problem that J and B reported late last week.  Thank goodness for CARLI's documentation pages!

J (a different J) had some questions about creating new POs in Voyager.  That required fiddling with OCLC to make it work on his computer (It's always something!), and we actually managed to write documentation as we went along rather than just talking about how we ought to do that.

Now I'm hanging out in the archives room while a community member peruses one of our many Lincoln-related books.  150 years ago today, on the first day of Chanukah, General U.S. Grant issued an order to expel "Jews as a class" from certain areas of the war zone--that would be the Civil War--as part of an attempt to cut off the black market sale of cotton.  Lincoln was called upon to reverse the order, and he did so.  You can read more here.  We own a book of that contains "a cross section of sermons and essays both written and delivered by America's Jewish spiritual leaders marking the life of Lincoln from the very weekend of his murder to the first decades of the 20th century." (More info and source of quote)

I'm hoping to get back to the office in time to clean up a bit of my mess that's accumulated as I've run in and out the past few weeks and maybe even to get back into sorting through the various carts and piles of books that have been sitting around for months (or, in some cases, years).

I'll be in for a couple of hours on Wednesday for the library Christmas party, and then Mary and I will finally have a day to work together on Thursday.

1 comment: